Sunday, January 23, 2011

Poem of the Week: "The Lifeguard," by James Dickey

The other day, I walked into the living room to see my dad watching the end of Deliverance on TV. And right away, I thought about one of the very first poems I ever read and fell in love with, way back during my sophomore year of high school. How on earth did I connect a beloved poem with one of the most infamous movies ever made, you might ask? Well, James Dickey, the guy who wrote the novel Deliverance, was actually a very successful and respected poet. Isn't the world of literature weird sometimes?

Anyway, thinking about that poem made me realize I needed to go back and reread it. I hadn't seen it in years, and I only remembered the gorgeous language and moonlit tone. I am glad I found this poem again. It's so beautiful and painful. That last line is an absolute killer. Enjoy!

The Lifeguard, by James Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment