Sunday, June 20, 2010

Poem of the Week: "Youth," by James Wright

In honor of Father's Day, here is a poem from one of my favorite poets, James Wright. Wright's poems are always deceptively simple, hiding a complexity of emotion under the guise of plain existence. Enjoy!


Youth, by James Wright

Strange bird,
His song remains secret.
He worked too hard to read books.
He never heard how Sherwood Anderson
Got out of it, and fled to Chicago, furious to free himself
From his hatred of factories.
My father toiled fifty years
At Hazel-Atlas Glass,
Caught among girders that smash the kneecaps
Of dumb honyaks.
Did he shudder with hatred in the cold shadow of grease?
Maybe. But my brother and I do know
He came home as quiet as the evening.

He will be getting dark, soon,
And loom through new snow.
I know his ghost will drift home
To the Ohio River, and sit down, alone,
Whittling a root.
He will say nothing.
The waters flow past, older, younger
Than he is, or I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment