Thursday, July 30, 2009

Favorite Passages: Tao Te Ching

Lately, I've been feeling a little down. Life hasn't quite turned out to be what I imagined it would be at the age of 22, and I have to keep reminding myself that it's all going to turn out to be okay. During times like this, when I find myself too preoccupied with the bad and not the good in life, I turn to the Tao Te Ching. I first read the Tao Te Ching in March, and it has proven to be an extremely important part of my life. The philosophy of Taoism, which promotes following the natural "way" of life, comforts me greatly, and I have continued to study it over the last five months. Reading my favorite verses from the Tao Te Ching always puts me at ease.

Probably my single favorite passage comes from "Verse 29." Its simple poetry and message gives me great comfort in times of hardship or self-doubt. I hope maybe it can do the same for some of you.

From: Tao Te Ching, Verse 29

Allow your life to unfold naturally
Know that it too is a vessel of perfection
Just as you breathe in and breathe out
Sometimes you're ahead and other times behind
Sometimes you're strong and other times weak
Sometimes you're with people and other times alone

To the sage
all of life is a movement toward perfection
So what need has he
for the excessive, the extravagant, or the extreme?


Happy Reading, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment