Friday, March 26, 2010

This Week in Trashy Reads #1

After my confession yesterday, I've decided to start a new post category, hereafter known as "This Week in Trashy Reads." Since I don't necessarily read a "trashy" book every week, these posts won't be posted on a regular basis. But a handful will definitely sneak in each month.

Yesterday, in my review, I mentioned that one of the best things about the Smart Bitches, Trashy Books crew is their ability to point me in the direction of some good romance novels, rather than the terrible crap that normally represents romance. So when I saw this glowing review for Julie James's Something About You, I new I had to check it out. I was not disappointed.

There are few things I am a total sucker for when it comes to romance novels. (To name a few: series about brothers, damaged heroes - particularly ones with tragic/traumatic pasts, and anything involving nerds or small towns). One of these is the "I hate you, NO! I love you" approach. Cameron Lynde and Jack Pallas have a complicated past, in which FBI agent Jack blames U.S. attorney Cameron for ruining an extremely important case. But Jack doesn't know what really went down, and neither is very fond of each other. But when Cameron is the only witness to a murder, Jack and her are pushed back together. Obviously, emotions and hot sex ensue.

But I wasn't really into this book for the plot, which was quite vanilla, really. In fact, for the first hundred pages, I was almost bored. Then things get steamy. But that really wasn't why I liked the book, either. Rather, I enjoyed it because it was actually quite funny, and all the side characters were very charming. I particularly liked Jack's partner, Agent Wilkins, who is adorably honest and quippy, and Cameron's best friend Collin, who is gay but (as the Smart Bitch site points out) not at all a cliche. Also, by mentioning romance novel cliches throughout the book in well-done bouts of dialogue, it manages not to feel so trashy.

So, in the end, this was a really fun read that didn't need to have substance to get me interested. Yay for trashy books that take my mind of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment